Anime news, trailers, gallery
Checkpoint: Crysis, StarCraft II, Dar...
Checkpoint: The Sims 3, Spellborn, Au...
Checkpoint: Red Alert 3, Delays, Demigod
Checkpoint: Wii, GTA IV, MGS 4, EA, R...
Checkpoint: Gears of War 2, Motorstor...
- The 360+ MB Crysis patch 1.2
is finally up for download. But it has issues
. And also some dedicated (albeit beta) nVidia drivers
- "We have no plans to have in-game advertising in StarCraft II
", says Blizzard via Blizzplanet
. Well, they have no plans for announcing the next Diablo game today, either. But that doesn't mean it's not there...
- Dark Sector has just gone Gold, and is now ready for releasing in North America this March 25 on the PS3 and Xbox 360.
- Capcom dismisses Resi 5 date rumours
, the ones placing the release of Resident Evil 5 in October 2008 (just before Gears of War 2). So it might only come out in early 2009.
- Huxley, that MMOFPS nearly gone vaporware, was featured this week in an IGN
preview saying that Webzen plans to release the PC version by the end of 2008, followed about six months later by the Xbox 360 version (which will take place 50 years later, but will still have "cross-platform interaction" with the PC version, oddly enough).
- Each game from the Orange Box package - Portal, Team Fortress 2, and Half-Life 2: Episode One + Two - will be available as separate PC titles at retail on April 9, as confirmed by Valve on Joystick
. Too little too late.
- Europa Universalis III: In Nomine announced
for this summer (or some time before it). It's like an expansion for another expansion, since it will require the Napoleon's Ambition add-on, and the idea for it was born on Paradox' forums. Sounds... promising...
- Various WiiWare games were announced lately, but the vast majority of them look like pure, double-distilled shit. One exception is LostWinds
(which we covered last month), and another one will hopefully be Lit - a 3D horror action-puzzler coming from WayForward (Contra 4, Shantae), which I found out about on Gamasutra
- The U.S. Air Force wants
? Nope, PlayStation 3 consoles
. Awoo! Awoo! Awoo! They're supposedly "conducting a technology assessment of certain cell processors", and the PS3 is perfect for
playing while on-duty
their top-secret research.
- The Sims 3 website
is now up, hinting at - you guessed - The Sims 3. More information is coming on March 19. I just love how everyone is making a full-blown "news" out of this.
- The Chronicles of Spellborn is being delayed again, according to a project update
on the MMO's website. This time they expect to release it in Q2 2008. I beg to differ.
was the top selling game on Steam
in February, pwning the likes of Orange Box and Peggle Deluxe. I only found out about this cool little indie game last month, but too bad I was busy with a WoW raid at the time, to give it a try.
- Ziff Davis Media announced tonight it has filed a dreaded Chapter 11 (a.k.a. bankrupcy protection) petition, hoping to somehow pull out of the financial asshole they're stuck in, with hundreds of millions of dollars in debt... that's some heavy
shit! If the name doesn't ring a bell, they publish the EGM and Games For Windows magazines, and the 1UP network of websites which also includes FileFront, GameVideos and GameTap. Mwhaha... here's our chance to take over the gaming world!
- Dragonball movie delayed
... Wait, what the fuck is this doing on a gaming website!? Time to switch to Animekon
for the full story.
- New Red Alert 3 details
have been discussed in the latest BattleCast web-show, including the revelation of the new faction: The Empire of the Rising Sun, "which was produced after a desperate Soviet leadership went back in time to erase Einstein, presumably to stop him creating the atomic bomb". One does not simply erase Einstein.
- Okami finally gets a firm release date on the Wii (or delay, from GameSpot's point of view
): April 15. Cool, right on my birthday. But something tells me I'll still be busy air-punching my comrade in Super Smash Bros. Brawl at that time.
- IGN talked to Ubi about the new stuff in Assassin's Creed for the PC
, such as four new investigation missions (archer assassination, rooftop race challenge, merchant stand destruction challenge and escort challenge). And they also got some new screens. The PC version is coming in early April, having slipped again.
- Dark Sector is also coming a bit later than expected, in April, with a demo "likely"
to precede the final launch.
- A fresh new release schedule we received from cdv USA lists Sacred 2: Fallen Angel as coming in September 2008 on the PC and Xbox 360. Precicely, yet another delay. Also, Stranger releasing this March 17, Sudden Strike 3 on March 24, and Theatre of War on May 12 (it's been out in Europe since last autumn).
- Demigod, at least, is not getting delayed... yet. Gas Powered Games' new strategy game is "completely playable" and "fairly certain" for a 2008 release
. Should be worth the wait, "heck [they] have a giant walking castle as a demigod"!
- A Grimm preview
is up on GameTap (the very website that will be launching this dark episodic game in July), with quotes from American McGee, who seems rather frustrated by Disney's versions of the classic murderous fairy tales. "Look at Pinocchio, for instance. In the original story he kills Jiminy Cricket, his conscience. Pinocchio was a real jerk in the original story. But nobody knows that because they've only seen the Disney version."
- A game based on the TV show Dexter
is in the works, through a partnership between Showtime Networks and Marc Ecko Entertainment. Right, as in Marc Ecko's Getting Up pile-o-crap from a couple of years ago.
- Sony Japan confirms Skype for PSP from March 18
, plus new hardware and limited edition Bronze handheld
. Any colour you like
has been released
for our region-free gaming pleasure. So no matter the game's country of origin, this baby will take it for a spin, for $19.99 / £9.99. Just in time for Super Smash Bros. Brawl
this March 9, which is still missing a European release date.
- There will be no GTA 4 demo
. But don't worry, they're not hiding anything. Just a gangload of criminals and whores waiting to be sodomized with broken bottles of vodka. Something the whole family can look forward to this April 29
. If you have 100 hours to finish
- And by the time the GTA fever cools out, Metal Gear Solid 4 will be coming this June 12
on the PS3, as eventually confirmed - and detailed
- by Konami. European date same as US
, by the way. But, alas, Blu-ray disc doesn't have enough space
for MGS4! Oh well, Metal Gear Online beta begins April 21
- Why EA rocks (and sucks) in 2008
- five reasons why Electronic Arts 'rocks', and five reasons why it 'sucks'. I could add plenty more to the latter.
- Eidos parent company SCi cancels 14 games
and fires 25% of its employees, in a radical attempt to stop (or at least slow) their downfall. Tomb Raider, Deux Ex and Hitman still alive. So is Battlestations, considering last week's announcement of a sequel
. Oh and Tomb Raider: Underworld
"is now scheduled to launch during the 2008 Christmas season
- THQ director blames piracy
for Iron Lore closure
. And hardware vendors. And reviewers. And stupid gamers. Anything but the real problem
- 38% of gamers are female
. That leaves about 60% males, and 2% emo kids?
- And finally, some new games releasing this week
, including Army of Two and God of War: Chains of Olympus for the PSP. Oh, speaking of God of War... (cue sequel post)
Yes, I admit, I've been shamelessly (though strategically) slacking for the past week, leaving my comrade to face the GDC madness on his own, while I turned my perverted eye to our flat-chested sister-website Animekon
(some great new stuff
there lately, by the way). But all good things must come to an end, so... back to gaming.
- Chief among our bypassed GDC news was the announcement of Gears of War 2, coupled with this teaser trailer
teasing at a november 2008 release. CliffyB proclaimed that it's "going to be bigger, better and far more badass than the first one", with chainsaw duels
and stuff. But no Gears of War comic after all
- More recently, Motorstorm 2 was also revealed in a BBC article
. It's "due out in time for Christmas and moves the action away from the desert locale of the original. Gamers will be able to race around a lush island environment, full of interactive vegetation". Interactive... vegetation. That's super. At least it will have 4-player split-screen.
- Still, the hottest topic these days remains EA's $2 billion bid on Take-Two
, which was rejected, but will be taken under consideration once again on April 30, right after the release of GTA IV (not by coincidence). Meanwhile - new Take-Two details revealed
- This year's Leipzig Games Convention might be the last one, as from September 2009 it could effectively be replaced by a new event called GAMESCom
, to be held in Cologne, Germany. The Leipzig organizers are not amused
, but still hope
for a GC 2009.
- Telltale has just sent along the trailer
for Sam & Max episode 204: Chariots of the Dogs, which is hereby officially unravelled. But where in the world is
Bosco? Find out in mid-March.
- The next Indiana Jones action game has gone into production. Yeah, just now
. But you won't see me complain, since LucasArts spent more time with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, which looks so
cool in this GDC 2008 trailer.
- Offset Software
, the guys who blew our mind with their Project Offset tech demos a couple of years ago (but kept mostly silent ever since) have been acquired by Intel. Five bucks to whoever can say what this will mean for their potential game. I'm clueless.
- Molyneux despairs
at the "tragic" state of PC gaming, because "The Sims and World of Warcraft [are] sucking all the air out of the PC market". And I feel like I'm right in the ventilation duct, what with patch 2.4
coming up and everything... By the way, "Cliff's an idiot!"
- As of tomorrow, February 29, Phil Harrison is no longer the president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios. This week he resigned from Sony after 15 frustrating
years with the company, leaving his warm chair to Kaz “Riiiidge Racer!”
Hirai (who also remains President and Group CEO of SCEI). Where to next
, Phil boy?
- The PSP version of Need for Speed ProStreet is finally shifting into retail gear this week, on February 22. Time for another NFS soon, eh?... *sigh*
... What a drag
- Also on February 22, the PS3 version of Unreal Tournament 3 will be released in Europe. Other releases
this week include Dragon Quest Swords (Wii), The Club, Dynasty Warriors 6, and Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (DS).
- The Witcher Enhanced Edition was announced for May 2008, bringing changes in the game's mechanics, better graphics, a MOD editor, and two new adventures (comprising 8 new quests). In other words, they're trying to sell us a fucking patch.
- Second Life goes mobile
, by "[reformatting] the online world to fit on mobile phone screens while mapping the keys on handsets to commands in-world". World of Warcraft should take a cue, instead of experimenting with shitty mobile chat features
- JoWooD and World Forge (Sparta: Ancient Wars) announced a new strategy game called The Golden Horde, which "takes you back to a place in time where the heirs of Dschingis Khan were ready to fight for their honor and glory". Dschingis Khan
?! What the fuck! Somebody fire that PR idiot who can't even spell Genghis Khan
- THQ and Blue Fang Games (Zoo Tycoon) are banding for a new game, in development for the Wii, DS and PC. More zoophilia
- The world of Fallout 3 will be much smaller than Oblivion, Bethesda's Pete Hines told some aussies
, "but packed with stuff to do". Stuff to do is good, mkay.
- "For Sims 3 there will be new information soon", Sims Studio head Rod Humble let slip in a forum posting
. And guess what: they are "actually launching less [Sims games] this year than last". Oh, and "the Sims Label was created to innovate, make original games and take creative risks". I loled.
- Aion: The Tower of Eternity is coming in 2008
. How exactly is that a novelty, beats me!
- Naruto: Ninja Destiny went gold, and is now destined to launch on February 26 for the Nintendo DS. Naruto sucks dragon balls
- April 22 was announced as the day Square Enix will release its new DS action-RPG set in modern-day Tokyo, The World Ends With You. No U
- Unreal Engine 3 got licensed by yet another Korean developer
- Dragonfly (Karma Online, Special Force), who will be using it to make a new... something, whatever.
- Red Faction 3 is no more... But relax, nothing is
cancelled, dude. They just renamed it to Red Faction: Guerilla, apparently
- Likewise, the Aliens FPS announced
by SEGA at the end of 2006 finally has a title - Aliens: Colonial Marines, "invading consoles and PCs in 2009". The devs from Gearbox had better make aliens playable as well, at the very least in an expansion. Or else!
- NCsoft has "something to announce - not only announce but to show - by the second half of this year"... their very first console (PS3?) MMO game
. They're "pretty psyched" about it. I'm not. Not yet, anyway.
- Epic's CliffyB loses faith in PC games, thiking that "the PC is just in disarray"
. So right now they're focusing on making
Gears of War 2
console games. Can't say I blame them.
- Speaking of Epic, their Unreal Engine 3 also got licensed by Korean MMO maker Devroot Studio, for a new game codenamed "BK Project". They're a division of SONOV Corporation, who made that MMO with hot chicks
, Shaiya: Light and Darkness.
- The Xbox 360 fails
at a rate of 16.4% (give or take), while only 3% of the PlayStation 3 and Wii consoles fail. Should be interesting to see some sales figures for Microsoft and Sony's consoles in actual working condition!
- Wii hacked
once again (and once again without much use), this time through an exploit in The Legend of Zelda. Great, wake me up when there's something worth seeing.
- Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
for the DS is being released tomorrow in the UK (and presumably the rest of Europe). We got the latest trailer here
, in case you missed it.
- The Witcher
, CD Projekt's debut RPG, has sold over 600,000 copies in 3 months. They're still aiming for 1 million in the first year, and at this rate they're going to shatter it. Grats!
- 4 years later... Final Fantasy XI product site
launched. I bet you didn't see that one coming!
- Jack Keane demo
unveils the first four levels of this allegedly funny adventure game by Ankh developer Deck13.
- PlayStation 3 sells 1 million units in UK
, after 41 weeks on the market. That's 3 weeks longer that it took the Wii to reach the same figure there, and 9 weeks faster than the Xbox 360. Above average.
- Moroes' Lucky Pocket Watch
just dropped for me in Kara. Upon closer inspection, I noticed it's time to call it a night.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl sales top 1 million in Japan
, making it the fastest selling Wii game to reach that sales figure over there. We should start stocking up on booze early, for when it launches over here (next month?). An insane Wii session is sure to ensue.
- Devil May Cry 4 demo hits 1 million downloads on Xbox Live
, through some questionable math (25,000 downloads a day since January 24 isn't even remotely close to 1 million). No wonder Capcom's game owns the UK charts
- Sam & Max Episode 203: Night of the Raving Dead
launched on GameTap today. Tomorrow also on Telltale's website
, along with a demo.
free vampiric MMORPG launched by Joymax, along with a new Daden Market (the item mall of Darkeden). From the communique, "players can log in today and slay vampires, fight humans, or crush oysters". Oysters?... Oh, I'm sorry, ousters
- Need for Speed ProStreet has a new Porsche demo
on the PC, featuring the Porsche GT2 and GT3RS cars, and Porsche's Leipzig test track. No use, there can be only one NFS: Porsche Unleashed!
- WorldShift beta up on FilePlanet
for 5,000 gamers. "Subscribers only". F.U.
- Dynasty Warriors 6, now armed with the Gold status, will invade US retail on February 19.
- Battlefield, Halo veterans form Tyrant Studios
in Seattle, setting out to "change the way games are made" with their combined
experience. I don't suppose their motto is "Liberté, égalité, fraternité"?
- "More churches" in Resistance 2!
Checkpoint: Crysis, StarCraft II, Dark Sector
Checkpoint: The Sims 3, Spellborn, Audiosurf
Checkpoint: Red Alert 3, Delays, Demigod
Checkpoint: Wii, GTA IV, MGS 4, EA, Releases
Checkpoint: Gears of War 2, Motorstorm 2, Take 2
Checkpoint: Releases, The Witcher, Second Life
Checkpoint: Fallout 3, The Sims 3, Aion, Naruto
Checkpoint: Red Faction 3, Aliens FPS, X360 Fails
Checkpoint: FF XI, Jack Keane, PS3
Checkpoint: Smash Bros. Wii, DMC4, Sam & Max
Copyright © Playkon 2008-2017