In one of those oh-so-rare twists of fate, the PlayStation 3 version of F.E.A.R. will be arriving sooner in Europe than in North America (four days sooner, to be more precise). And to spice up their launch press releases, Sierra / Vivendi also issued an interview internally conducted with senior producer Rob Loftus, detailing the specific changes they have in store for PS3 gamers. But before we get there, here are the dates: in the UK, the PS3 edition of F.E.A.R. will be released on April 20, and in North America on April 24.
The main highlights in this version, ported by Day 1 Studios instead of Monolith, is the addition of a new arcade-style shootout mode, called Instant Action, as well as a new level and a weapon exclusive to the PS3. A brief feature list would look something along these lines:
- Stunning visual effects for an intense "action movie" experience.
- Unpredictable encounters with combat adaptable A.I.
- Multiplayer support for up to 16 players.
- Instant Action Mode - New arcade style mode filled with close quarter's battles tracking player progress via leader boards for the PlayStation Network for the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system.
- Exclusive PS3 level and weapon giving the gamer a unique experience solely for PS3 owners.
For more details, you can read the entire interview here on Playfuls. Rob Loftus says that the plotline will not be changed, but that the bonus mission will expand it a bit, by revealing what happened to the SFOD squad that the F.E.A.R. team is trying to locate in the original storyline. But other than this, it looks like a rather straight port of the PC / Xbox 360 version. Not even the SixAxis' tilt function is supported in the PS3 version, although it could have proved useful for leaning around corners and such.
The rest, you can read for yourself in the Q&A. Just don't expect too much.(N.B. Archive text, links removed)